Skip to main content

Imagination

When I was younger I had a very active imagination, like most young children do. I would dream up grand worlds and scenarios; all I needed to have fun was inside my head. Walking around my backyard, I would be transported to different universes where anything I wanted could happen. As I grew older however this tendency waned. I started reading, and instead of dreaming up amazing circumstances myself I would instead imagine being in the world that the author had conjured up with words. I still sometimes would adventure in realms of my own creation, but my decline had started.
            I was absorbed by a few different book series. The first I can remember was Harry Potter. I remember finishing the entire series in a few months, but that can’t be right. Maybe I paid little attention to the other aspects of life so it felt faster. I would say I became addicted. I soon moved on to Fablehaven, which was significantly different but also had many aspects from Harry Potter. These took me longer to finish, and I’m not quite certain whether I ever completed the entire series. But I was just as involved; my teacher would get irritated with me in class because I was reluctant to stop reading when class started.
            Books captured my attention so much I think in part because they allowed me to bring imagination anywhere. When I relied solely on my mind, I had to be in just the right place to really get into it. Outside of my backyard or house it was hard to ‘get in the zone.’ But with a book to jump start everything, anywhere could be the place for exploration. It was also easier to imagine what someone else invented rather than coming up with original material. I could just float along with the story, enjoying the scenery as I passed by instead of working for every bit.
            Of course, imagination didn’t feel like work. It was great fun. Reading, however, was more fun. The loss of freedom of exactly what was happening was made up by the ability to determine how it was happening. I could picture the scenes in my mind much more vividly when there was a storyteller to guide me. I didn’t have to spend all of energy deciding where to go. On top of all of that was the cohesion. With a book, you can stop reading at any time and pick right back up where you left off. The experiences were fully developed from beginning to end, rather than being haphazard mixes of cool ideas every time. All the benefits of books had me yearning for more, though.
            Videogames were what I was looking for. The right kind of videogame can be the perfect balance between reading a book and raw imagination. You can have a large degree of freedom. Although in many cases still limited by what the game designer had in mind, you’re no longer stuck to the beaten path. Almost all videogames allow you some choice in the matter, and the best ones in my opinion give you a huge amount of control. What they lack in portability they make up for in appearance. Instead of having a murky idea of what the subject of your imagination looks like, it’s clearly presented to you. You can also stop and start as you please. They’re even easier than books.

            Despite all their benefits though, you undoubtedly lose something when playing videogames. There isn’t the purity of just imagining or even reading a book. Almost everything is presented to you at face value, very little left up to fantasy. This makes them easier to experience but also removes the magic I felt when I was younger. Maybe it’s nostalgia, but I wish I could still have fun just walking around in my backyard yet in my own world. My mind has been adulterated by books and videogames. Imagining is hard work, and now that I know there’s a shortcut I always gravitate towards it. There’s no longer a spark. It feels as though everything I can think of I’ve thought of before. Before there were unlimited possibilities. Now I can’t seem to enjoy myself without someone else to tell the story, something I haven’t heard before.

Comments

  1. It is true that video games as a whole have become more "book-like" in the complexity of their narratives and the complexity of the issues and obstacles protagonists must face. It's hard to imagine a student 30 years ago making the case for Q-Bert or Pac-Man as an imaginative pleasure akin to reading. In my Hero's Journey course in recent years, I've had multiple students choose to write about a video game and their experience of its narrative through the point of view of an often ambiguously heroic protagonist as "literature." It's a unique way to engage the imagination, as you say, and with the complexity of the narrative a player must engage, the experience is more "literary" than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also used to play a lot of imaginary games when I was younger, and looking back, it seems crazy that I could be entertained for hours by just running around outside. I've never thought about how this relates to reading or video games, or how similar reading and video games actually are, so this made some fun thought-provoking points. Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly agree with you here. While books, movies, videogames, etc. are great, I often wish that I could still entertain myself fully through my imagination. I was not sure if I was the only one who thought this, so I'm glad to hear I'm not in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger, I used to read a ton because it stretched my imagination too! I was OBSESSED with Harry Potter and Fablehaven (and then later books like Maximum Ride lol) because of how vivid they were. But unlike you, video games wasn't my book alternative, but TV shows, because they're just easier (and less time consuming) like you mentioned. I feel like I am missing something imagination-wise, and I do enjoy a good book sometimes but I guess I just don't read as much as when I was younger because I'm too lazy lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, was obsessed with Harry Potter when I was younger, although I haven't really departed from that stage of my life, as I still read them every year or so. The point you bring up about how you lose and gain things with video games is certainly very interesting. While I play a very minimal number of video games (my experience doesn't stretch much further than Pokemon FireRed), I've watched my brother play them for a number of years, and I partially credit them to his much greater abilities as a creative writer than myself. However, on some level I do agree with you that it takes away some of the "imaginative" part of these types of experiences as you get to watch everything happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was younger I never played in my imagination. My friends would think of the most creative things but I never understood it. I guess you could say my imagination was dead. Unfortunately, I can't relate to imagining "grand worlds and scenarios" but I did love reading and video games. Unlike you I love the storyline and structure, the predestination is one of my favorite aspects. I guess different strokes for different folks. Nice Post! (Possible double comment)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Back Surgery, Part One

On October 2nd I had Spinal Fusion Surgery, a surgery where they make an incision along your spine, open up your back, screw some bolts into your spine, use clamps to slowly move your spine over so it’s straight(er), and finally attach rods to the bolts to keep your spine from moving back. The reason I had this surgery is because I have scoliosis; my spine curves laterally in an ‘S’ shape. Most peoples’ spines curve front-to-back in a sort of ‘double-S’: Whereas my spine looks somewhat like this one on the left: Some more background on my scoliosis: it was first discovered about two and a half years ago when I had an x-ray taken of my lower back for an unrelated reason and my doctor noticed a slight curve. She thought it was scoliosis, and recommended I see a spine doctor. They had me get more x-rays of my entire back and diagnosed me with scoliosis. We weren’t too surprised; my mom has minor scoliosis. My scoliosis is called ‘idiopathic’, meaning unknown cause. Most docto...

Microtransactions and their Repercussions

Many videogames contain microtransactions: small, optional payments that players can make in order to receive items or perks in-game. They're a staple in the mobile market where games are often free, and to make money the developers would otherwise rely exclusively on ad revenue. Free to play computer games also often have microtransactions. One such example is Team Fortress 2 (abbreviated TF2), a team-based first person shooter. Players can choose between nine different classes, each with a set of default weapons and the ability to receive (by random drop) or purchase special weapons from other players via the Steam Market (an item trading marketplace run by Valve, the creators of Team Fortress 2). This model works well in TF2 because the special weapons aren't necessarily better than the defaults, but instead different in a way that modifies the class's play-style and introduces more variation into the game. There are also hats available in the game. With a wide range of...